Many of the buildings on the Courthouse Square, now housing a pharmacy, antique shops, gift shops and private residences, date back to the early 1800s. In 1976, Goliad's Courthouse Square Historic District was entered on the National Register of Historical Places. Visitors are invited to take the Downtown Walking Tour, which features, among others, the following sites. For even more information about planning a trip to Goliad check out our Tourism Partners, www.visitgoliad.com.
Fannin Plaza Park
This city park is home to a memorial and a Texas Revolution cannon. There are benches and a children's play area, Fort Fun.
Goliad County Courthouse
The current courthouse is Goliad’s third courthouse, the rough-cut limestone structure was designed by Alfred Giles. The courthouse is home to the County Judge office, District and County Clerk records offices and many more. For more information, visit their website.
Hanging Tree (Cart War Oak)
Between 1845 and 1870, this live oak tree served as the site of court sessions. Death sentences pronounced by the court were carried out immediately. The Hanging Tree is located on the northside of the Courthouse Square. More information can be found on the Texas A&M Forest Service website.
Constructed and dedicated in 1854, this limestone structure is home to Goliad Lodge No. 94, the oldest Masonic Lodge in continuous use in the State of Texas. For more information, visit their website.
Baptist Oak Tree
On May 7, 1849, a dozen Goliad citizens, led by Rev. John Freeman Hillyer, met under this live oak tree, just a block off the town square, to organize the first Baptist church west of the Guadalupe River. More information can be found on the Texas A&M Forest Service website.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
This building was erected in 1883, and was consecrated in 1885. It served as a mission church until it was elevated to parish status in 1913. The building, regarded as one of the most beautiful small churches in the state, features several stained glass memorials.